In Pictures and In Words–Ch. 10

I’m a little late to this party! It’s been one crazy week! Better late then never, right?!  But, it’s going to be short and sweet!

 

Chapter 10 is all about tone.  How the color, light, and shading in a illustration provoke an emotional response in a reader. 

I’m going to show you an example of the easiest technique (I think!), Technique 32: Crafting Tone with Color

The book The Way I Feel, illustrated by Janan Cain, helps children to learn to express their emotions and understand the way they are feeling.

The colors used in this book evoke strong feelings, and certainly evoke a certain tone for each page.

Can you guess what feeling the colors on each page are expressing?

IMG_4146

{happy}

IMG_4147

{angry}

IMG_4148

{bored}

See, short and sweet.  Head on over to Deanna’s blog to see some other ideas for books for this chapter! 

The Inspired Apple

4 comments:

  1. Kathleen,

    Thank you for sharing this book. It's a new title for me, but I can see how graphic the illustrations are in the book. It will be a great one when talking about looking at characters' facial expressions to get information about what the character is feeling.

    Mona
    First Grade Schoolhouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love short and sweet! The Way I Feel is such a cute book. It is one of my favorite books to read at the beginning of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Way I Feel is a great book and wonderful way to jump start a discussion about feelings, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOOhhhhh!!! Great choice. It goes perfectly with this chapter! :)

    ReplyDelete