Winter Literacy Centers

Here is a glimpse of our literacy centers for the next two weeks!
DSCN4849
Hat’s Off to Snowman – CVC Word Match – I used just the blend set this time.  My kids have gotten a lot of practice with three letter CVC words, I thought I would challenge them a bit with 4 letter words! They rose to the challenge.   (I attached the hats with velcro – there are 5 pairs in a baggie.)
DSCN4850
This is my Snowflakes in a Jar – Ending sounds sort. The children sort the snowflakes by their ending sounds – it was a bit tricky for them since they are SO used to listening for the ending sounds.  I will definitely be creating a Valentine version of this game!
DSCN4851
I do a roll-a-sight-word center every round. The kids always know what to expect from this center.  These dice are pretty awesome too – I got them at our local teacher store – I think there were math activities for them – but I love them for this center.  I keep a table on my computer (word doc) and just program the new words, print, and insert them in the vinyl pockets.  So much faster than making wooden dice – and they are big and SOFT!! (NO NOISE!)
DSCN4852DSCN4854
I love this center!  There are 2,3,and 4 letter words in the Kindergarten kit, and up to 6 letter words in the first grade kit.  I started off with 3 baggies with 4 words in each (organized by the number of letters).  I mounted each card to scrapbook paper and printed the coordinating letters on the back of the same scrapbook paper for easier organization! I used velcro dots to attach the letters to the cards.  No lost letters yet!  The kids love re-scrambling the letters for the next child too – they always try to make it really tricky!! Smile 
DSCN4855
This is a syllable center that I got from Brooke Perry over at Primary Perspectives.  If you haven’t seen her blog yet, you should definitely check it out!  I made the response sheet to go with it.  Thanks Brooke!
DSCN4856
I also have a listening center each week.  For this round, the children are listening to this sweet book called Pip & Squeak.  The response sheet focuses on character and setting.  You can download the response sheet here!
DSCN4858
This is another center that I found at Primary Perspectives.  It was one that I planned on making, but she beat me to it.  It involved rhyming discrimination.  There are 3 cards in a baggie, and the children have to decide which word doesn’t rhyme.
DSCN4859
I also have a letter/sound sort each week.  The clipart comes from a Carson Dellosa A-Z clip art book/cd.  It’s really a great resource to have – tons of clip art!
Those are my centers for the next 2 weeks! If you have any questions, let me know!
On a side note – we had cupcakes for a child’s birthday today.  Cupcakes with   BLUE frosting.  Picture that in your mind….. 16 kinders with blue frosting all over their sweet little  faces…. Smile
image

image     Smile
PS – It’s Friday tomorrow!!

10 comments:

  1. Kathleen,
    Could I ever get a copy of your roll a word template?

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with Christy...can you post a copy of your roll a word template?? :) What a super idea!!! Also...is there a limit you set for rolling the dice? I see a few of my kids rolling the dice 4 or 5 times, copying down a few words, and then moving on to their next station.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love a copy of the response sheet you created for the rhyming words. :) I love this week's centers! I plan on RUNNING to the teacher store to find the 'word' die! I can't wait to use it next week! Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bethany and erinee21 - send me an e-mail! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed you said that you will use these centers for two weeks. I'm curious as to how you run your centers and how these would last for two weeks. I seem to try a different way to run centers every year but am not satisfied with the ways. Right now I have the kids in four groups and rotate centers every ten minutes. Then my activities are done and I need four more for the next day. I appreciate the information:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made a reference to something 'being blue like a smurf' last year and got 20 deer-in-headlights looks. They had no clue what I was talking about! :( Maybe they'll come out with the Smurf movie soon and the younger generations can get clued in! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks , I have recently beеn loοking for informatіоn
    about this tοpic fοr a while and yours is the greatest I havе found оut till noω.
    But, what concеrning the conсlusion? Aгe you рosіtive abοut the sourcе?



    my page chatroulette

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure exactly why but this weblog is loading incredibly slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my end? I'll
    сhecκ back later on and seе if the problem still exists.


    My blοg pοst - chatroulette

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really likе уour blog.. very nice colors &
    theme. Did you create this webѕite youгself οr did you hiгe someone to dο it fοr you?
    Plz anѕwer bаck as I'm looking to design my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. thank you

    my web page Read A great deal more

    ReplyDelete