The snow continues…

I know many of you missed days of school last week because of the snowfall.  Well, when the snow falls here in ND, life goes on as usual.  It snowed almost every day last week, and we woke up today to more snow on the ground! I saw our poor custodians snow blowing 3 times on Friday!  I’ll have to hop outside today to snap a picture so you can see ALL of the snow.  However, although the air temperature right now is –1 the “feels like” temperature is –20.  Maybe I’ll just take a picture from my window Smile
Here are some of the activities that we did 2 weeks ago.  Last week was the mitten – I am way behind in the blogging department!
This is a fun idea I got from a friend....We started off the week wondering….where is the best place to build  a snowman?  I love #5.  Yep, we certainly have enough snow!  I was leading them to understand that inside is not the greatest place to build a snowman.
DSCN4836
So….we went on to talk about what would happen if we built a snowman inside. 
We made predictions in our snowman journal about what could happen.
Then, we got out our mittens and gathered a BIG bucket of snow.  Each table got a tray, snow, buttons, sticks, fabric for a scarf, and a noodle for his nose. 
We put the snow people in different places in our room and observed them throughout the day.  One group even put theirs in the play refrigerator!  We charted what our snow friends looked like about every 90 minutes.  At the end of the day, all we had was snowman soup!  Some children were very sad to see their friends disappear!
DSCN4891DSCN4894DSCN4895DSCN4896DSCN4900DSCN4901DSCN4913
Here is one entry a child wrote in her snowman journal about what her snowman looked like:
DSCN4962
We also read the book Snowballs by Lois Ehlert and made our own snow people.  The children will also write about what their snowperson, or dog, or cat is but we haven’t gotten around to that yet!
DSCN4907DSCN4908
We did our SNOWMAN making words activity.  We do a making words activity every Friday, and the children are getting quite good at it! We sit at the carpet, and they each have a clipboard.  I use my document camera to record the words as we build them as well.
DSCN4903
We played this fun sight word game which is available in Kim Adsit’s Snowman pack at TpT.
DSCN4867
DSCN4866
This rhyming game is also available in Kim’s pack.
DSCN4904
This is a CVC word game that is available at Kelly’s Kindergarten.
DSCN4905
The children loved Snowman Hangman!!  We sat by our word wall, and I chose a mystery word.  I start off by saying, my word has 3 letters.  They have to scan the word wall to find a word that only has three letters and then they guess the letters.  If they guess a wrong letter, one piece of the snowman goes up. (there are magnets on the back – my word wall is on a magnetic white board).  This idea also came from Kim’s snowman pack.  If you haven’t picked it up yet – you certainly should – there are tons of fun ideas in it!
DSCN4906
We also played the smaller, taller, or the same as game…(just call it a game, and it’s more fun for them Winking smile).
First we made predictions on whether or not they would be taller, smaller, or the same as our little snowman friend.  Most guesses were right on, but a few were off!
DSCN4874DSCN4875
We wrote about it in our snowmen journals:
DSCN4869DSCN4959
We read many snowmen books throughout the week. We read Snowman at Night and wrote about what they thought snowman do at night.  I love the first one.  She is such a literal thinker Smile
DSCN4841DSCN4842
We read this book:
image
And listened for the words: first, next, then, last.  We put the words in order and drew the steps it takes to build a snowman.
DSCN4919
The children then went off to write their own steps to go with the pictures.
DSCN4920DSCN4921
We have been doing math problem solving every day for a few weeks now, and the children are becoming great thinkers!  Each day we write the question, and the children read as I write.  We talk about the important information, and draw a picture to go with it.  I really walk them through the problem so I can target the strugglers.  We always joke that the problem is too easy, and that they are too smart for it.  They LOVE that!!
DSCN4837
Here are some samples from their journals:
DSCN4873DSCN4861DSCN4955
Here are some other pages from their Snowmen Fun! Journals for the week!
DSCN4952
We drew and labeled the parts of a snowman, made a list of the supplies we needed to build a snowman, wrote about what would happen if we built a snowman inside, and wrote about who we would build our snowman with.
DSCN4868DSCN4862DSCN4953DSCN4961
Next post, mittens and hot chocolate – although I don’t have many pictures to share for some reason!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! This unit looks wonderful! I really liked the steps to build a snowman activity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There!

    A teacher friend of mine told me about your blog, and I {LOVE} it! You have so many awesome ideas, you have really inspired me!

    I just started my own blog, and I have linked to your blog on mine. Check it out when you have time. Thanks :)


    http://mrsbecksgotclass.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome ideas for winter! I am a k-teacher and always looking for fun new ideas! THanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the "How To" writing page available?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely great. I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it sensible. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is really a wonderful web site.

    Here is my site - airplanes games

    ReplyDelete