With a heavy heart…

image

For the last 2 days, I have been glued to my computer following the news of the tragedy in Norway. If you have been reading my blog for a while now, you may remember that I am married to a wonderful Norwegian man.  We just returned from Norway on Tuesday, and on Friday, terror shook the tiny Nordic country.  The people of Norway are shocked and devastated.  This is the worst disaster the country has faced since the occupation of Norway in World War II, and possibly one of the worst massacres by a gunman the world has ever seen.

Thankfully, all of my husbands family is safe. His brother, who lives in Oslo, is still away on his honeymoon. 

Oslo holds a very special place in my heart.  As a student, I studied for 5 months at the University of Oslo.  I became a citizen of that city and it was {my own} for the time that I lived there.  I love that city, and I love Norway. 

Norway is a place unlike any other.  The people are friendly and trusting.  Police are unarmed and politicians {and sometimes royalty} take the subway just like anyone else.  King Harold told the people of Norway, "It's now important that we stand together and we support each other and we do not let fear conquer us."

It is the darkest time in Norwegian history, and the country is mourning a great loss.  I ask that you send up positive thoughts and prayers to the country.  It will take a long time to recover from this, and I fear the city that I love so much will never quite be the same.

image

11 comments:

  1. Prayers for Norway and your family, especially for your girls who are experiencing the loss first hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this. Your comments made it all more real for me. Sometimes we hear so many violent stories that we tune them out. You have reminded me that I need to keep my heart open to the suffering of others. Thank you! I will be praying for the people of Norway!
    Camille
    An Open Door

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine how these children and parents are going to recover. Thank you, for sharing so much about this wonderful country. I will be praying for Norway's recovery and hoping they can still find a way to stay the trusting country you've described.

    God Bless
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am praying for the citizens of Norway and their loved ones everywhere! My deepest condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and your "heart" land are in my thoughts...

    Donna
    Peace, Love & Learning

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strength and courage.
    Strength and courage.
    Strength and courage.

    and prayers of support and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending heartfelt healing and positive thoughts to to the people of Norway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for a gentle reminder that we all are on this earth together. I am so sorry this has happened. Diedra

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could not believe it when I heard what happened there. It turns my stomach inside out and my prayers and thoughts are with all the families that have lost someone or is waiting for a loved one to recover.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so sad that there are people in the world who cannot live and let live, but seek to destroy the peace of others. Norway joins my prayers for our nation and our world. :*(

    Melly<><

    Second Grade Strategies for Sizzlin' Second Graders!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad that you and your husbands family are safe. It is such a violation when trusting peaceful people experience such hate and violence. Unfortunately it changes you forever. My prayers are with you all. I hope that the people of Norway may soon find acceptance and peace.

    ReplyDelete