It’s been a while since I’ve had a Teacher Tool Tuesday, but Learning Resources recently contacted me asking me to take a peek at some of their new products for 2014. I’ve got some fun new goodies to share with you!
Tonight, I want to tell you about their new Number Construction kit.
This fun kit comes with 55 pieces that your kiddos can put together to build numbers. Combining play and construction with learning? YES, please!!
I love the idea of using these for free play at the beginning of the year, and moving into more structured activities as the year progresses. These will definitely be in my morning baskets and math centers!
It did take us a *minute* to figure out how to put them together, but as soon as I took a quick scan over the directions, we figured it out quickly. It really is easy – just took my brain a second ;).
How can you use these?
- Give the children all of the pieces and the direction cards and let them build on their own.
- Have them follow oral directions step by step. Intervention groups, maybe? Focus on direction following and features of the number.
- Build a number, and then put the corresponding number of bolts on the number.
- Free play! Let them explore!
- Graph the number of pieces it takes to build each number.
- Discuss the attributes of each number – how many curved pieces, short pieces, long pieces, bolts?
- Sort numbers by their attributes
- Adding – call out two numbers and have the child build the number.
In each kit, you’ll receive:
- 4 long straight lines
- 8 short straight lines
- 6 curves
- 12 C-curves
- 20 bolts
- 5 double sided activity cards
We have kindergarten round-up coming up next week and I can’t wait to put these our for our incoming Kindergarten students to explore with! I know they’ll love them!
Would you like to win a set of Number Construction pieces?!
Yay! Now’s your chance! Just like my Facebook page to enter!
How about a little sale on my All About the Number books too? I love these packs for teaching about numbers, reviewing numbers and number intervention too. Take a peek – I’ll have them on sale for 20% off until Wednesday at midnight!
Enter in the Rafflecopter below for your chance to win!a Rafflecopter giveaway
NOTE: If you have won a Learning Resources giveaway on any BLOG during the past 6 months, you are ineligible to win this giveaway! Once 6 months have passed, you can enter again. Thanks!