Meet The Teacher Monday!

Meet the Teacher Monday!

IMG_0362

I am so excited to be a part of a new blogging adventure that we like to call Blog Hoppin!  A group of us got together and developed this blog to collaborate and share great ideas. We are kicking it off (our grand opening!) with Teacher Week 2011!  The first item on the agenda is Meet The Teacher! 

Abby started us off over at Blog Hoppin with her bio and I’m linking up with her!

image

 Tell us a little something about you...

I think you all know who I am by now, but let me tell you a bit more! I started this little blog almost a year ago hoping that it could be part of my final project for my master’s degree.  When that didn’t work out, I decided that I would continue on!  I can’t believe my first anniversary is coming up!  I think blogging has made me a better teacher and I LOVE getting so many great ideas from ALL OF YOU!  P.S. – Thanks for supporting me on this little adventure of mine Smile

 How long have you been teaching?

This year will be my 7th year teaching.  I taught 1st grade for one year, and have been in kindergarten for 5 years.  I took some time off after the death of my daughter to be home and raise my other two girls.  Kindergarten is where my heart is.  Each day can be challenging, but it also can be (and is!) SO rewarding!  

What are you looking most forward to this school year?

I am looking forward to an exciting year of lots of learning and implementing all of the great learning I have done over the summer!  My Kindergarten team has also completely changed, and I am excited to work with two wonderful ladies!  We are going to have so much fun!

What do you need to improve?

I love writing time in my classroom, and my kiddos can write a pretty good story by the end of Kindergarten, but my lessons are always so random!  I’ve been reading the Fountas and Pinnell Curricular Calendar for Writer’s Workshop and am working on my mini-lessons for the rest of the year! I am so excited to incorporate “real” mini-lessons into my writing time! I’m also working through their Reader’s Workshop book as well – my new teaching partner LOVES reader’s workshop, so she will be a great asset to me!

AND – I really AM going to be organized this year! I am done with my Master’s Degree so that is a HUGE weight off of my shoulders!  ALSO…and the MOST exciting thing for me….I get my husband back! Back Story: For the past 12 years, he has worked his regular job writing software and then taught Norwegian in the evening at the University – which meant that he was not home until about 9:30 Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  Here’s the good part – he is now teaching his classes online so that he’ll be home with us in the evening! I can’t even express how excited I am about this! So, with him home to help out I’ll {hopefully} be able to keep my home life and school life organized and be on top of my to do list! Keep your fingers crossed!!

What teaching supplies can you *not* live without?

1. Diet Coke – it’s my fuel.

2. My interactive white board.  I had the opportunity to move to a MUCH larger room this year, but there was no IWB.  I chose to stay put.

3. I love me some Heidi Songs! Great way to get the kiddos up and moving and practicing great skills too!

4. My laminator! It’s saved me in a pinch when I have had to make a center game last minute – not going to do that this year – staying organized!!

5. My Silhouette – this is my brand new baby, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!  I’ve made so many things for my room with this – it is truly a time saver!

6.  They aren’t really “supplies”, but I couldn’t have gotten through last year with some very special friends.  Kim and Deanna were life savers to me – I don’t know what I would have done without their guidance, support, and friendship last school year.  Thanks girls – looking forward to another great year Smile

PS – I totally have to add this photo because I just took it off my camera….

IMG_1921

That’s me and Brandi Carlile!!  She is SO awesome, and I was so excited to get to meet her!!  If you haven’t heard her music before, you need to TOTALLY check her out! She rocks my world! 

So, now, it's time to link up your bio over at Blog Hoppin’.  Click on the image below to take you there!  You can use the questions above or write anything else you would like as long as it pertains to the topic of the day : YOU!  

 image

11 comments:

  1. I would really love to get a Silhouette to use at home and at school, but I haven't quite managed to get my hubby on board with that. :-) Also, how cool that your husband speaks Norwegian. My family is Norwegian and belongs to Sons of Norway, so anything Norwegian always catches my eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered Jack Hartmann and my kids LOVE his songs!! We "workout to the letter sounds" every day - they don't know the words yet but they love stretching for some reason! :)

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,
    It's nice to "meet you." This is the first time I've visited and I can't wait to look around. Best wishes for the upcoming school year!


    ❤Jodi from...
    ★★The Clutter-Free Classroom★★
    Helping Teachers Get Organized

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you please share where you found the Fountas and Pinnell Curricular Calendar for Writer’s Workshop? I could use something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have so much experience!! Excited to be a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. NIce to meet you. I agree wit your list needed supplies too, although I recently had to give up Diet Coke and soda all together. Have one for me !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a Silhouette on my list for this year! I had read your earlier post and I excited!

    Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was so nice to get to learn about the great author behind this amazing blog! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love you ideas AND Brandi Carlile! I saw her for the first time a few years ago... She looks so different!! :) So fun!!! Happy new school year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe I only just saw this! Thank you so much for your lovely shout out! :)
    Have a wonderful new year!
    Heidi Butkus

    ReplyDelete